Meet the Channel Manager

Meet Charlotte Mielziner, CM of Cuisine & Food

Charlotte, who hails from Springfield, IL,
has been a Helium member since 2007
and the CM of Cuisine & Food since 2010.
She has written more than 100 articles on Helium.com.

How did you first learn about Helium.com and what’s your favorite aspect of the site?
During a simple search for some little item of interest (I don’t recall what) I came across a Helium article. I was impressed with the depth of knowledge and nice crafting of the piece. I perused Helium’s site and signed on. I’m one of those people who get an interest, study the subject and want to share it with everyone they know—even some guy you randomly meet in a coffee shop. Helium fills my yen to start a conversation with a stranger about a totally random subject. And it gives me the freedom to work around the numerous other irons in the fire of my life.

Why were you drawn to the Cuisine & Food channel? 
Many years ago a boyfriend’s mom was kind enough to introduce my rural farm girl palate to fine food. While I could make fried anything, she opened the world of French cuisine to me. When she passed on, I was given her Gourmet Cookbook from the 1950s. It’s one of my prized possessions.

Over the years, I’ve taken more than 100 cooking courses, taught a few courses, started a couple of cookbooks (still working on them) and collected hundreds of cookbooks. I read them like some people read novels. One of the things I love about my husband is that he eats my mistakes! Unfortunately, when I create a new dish particularly well, he bemoans that I don’t cook with notes, so we’ll probably never see that dish quite like that again.

Well, writing and cooking…what wouldn’t draw me to the Cuisine & Food channel? A call for channel managers went out and I jumped at it. Here is where I belong.

As the Cuisine & Food CM, you’re the one to ask: Where’s your favorite place to eat?
About a mile away, nestled in a little house that is more than 120 years old is Stone Soup Cottage, the restaurant of world-class chef Carl McConnell and his wife Nancy. My favorite meal is whatever Carl is making; I’m always thinking I’m going to try to duplicate it.

What’s the best part of being a Helium channel manager?
I like rating articles against each other. It’s a great learning experience that has taught me about writing for an online audience. Plus I’ve gotten to see how Helium and its writers have grown, expanded and matured.

What is your favorite article you’ve written and why?
It might be Cookbook Reviews: The French Chef, by Julia Child. Her show made fine cuisine. She didn’t mind making mistakes like flipping an omelet and having it land all over the place. She truly enjoyed good food.

Who are your favorite Helium writers and what do you like about their writing?
Barry Parham is a hoot. He is the Dave Barry of Helium. Go read him! Rachelle de Bretagne and Gordon Hamilton are both excellent writers. They write cleanly, clearly and concisely. Rachelle keeps beating me in contests. Girl, you’re going down next time!

What tip would you give to a new Helium writer?
Go explore the site. Get lost. Find your way out. Rate some articles, and then rate a few more. Find your area of expertise and write to it, but explore other channels as well. Write for fun or write for extra money, but write because it comes from inside you. Oh, and always, always, always strive to improve.

How do you promote your Helium writing?
Social media is an excellent source for promotion. I go to the “My Articles” page and find articles that, although good, just aren’t getting views. Then I mention them on Twitter, Facebook—wherever. There are some new sites I want to make part of promoting as well, like Pinterest. My aim for April is to organize my promotions and make them a daily ritual.

What’s your favorite thing to do when you’re away from Helium?
Work the dogs. I train in obedience, rally and agility, three companion dog sports. Dogs provide a connectedness with a world outside of our understanding. Every once in a while, we cross the species and communication gap and are of one mind. It’s a beautiful thing. They are the embodiment of my favorite quote by Mother Theresa: “We can do no great things, only small things with great love.” Dogs do just that. I also like to spend time with my hubby and daughter. It’s a good life.

Helium Channel Managers form the social ribbon that ties Helium’s large writing community together. They work to provide and encourage the highest-quality information for readers, by nurturing a community of writers and subject matter experts who share a passion for the focus of each channel on Helium.

After living all over the world, Local Guides: Las Vegas Channel Manager Anthony Megna now makes his home in the city of lights. As the Las Vegas Channel Manager, Anthony enjoys reading Helium articles about his home city. Anthony advises new members to write what they know about and watch their earnings increase over time, as he is doing with retirement savings in mind.

Name: Anthony Megna

Helium member since: March 2008

What do you enjoy most about Helium?

Being able to write what’s on my mind, and to see it immediately published. Not only that, to be able to get paid for it is just fantastic.

What is your favorite article you’ve written on Helium?

Reflections: Where does your inspiration come from? It just blows me away that this article is first out of 128 articles!

What do you enjoy about writing?

I think writing is a very healthy outlet for all these crazy ideas trying to burst out of my head.

When did you join the Channel Manager team?

I believe it was a few years ago.

Why did you decide to become a Channel Manager? What do you enjoy about it?

First of all, I was honored to be asked, so I guess I couldn’t refuse. I enjoy reading some of my fellow Heliumites opinions on the city I live in, Las Vegas.

If you could give one bit of advice to new members, what would it be?

Write what you know about. Try not to get discouraged with the amount of money that is earned here at first. Even though it might only be pennies initially, if you keep at it, it will increase. I know I was a bit let down when I started, but I kept at it, and almost seven hundred articles later, I’m still here.

What are your future goals on Helium?

I would love for some of my work to be recognized by book publisher, or perhaps even be optioned by a movie company. I am also looking forward to the day when the income earned at Helium will realistically enhance my retirement goals.

What are three things people are surprised to learn about you?

How much of the world I’ve seen, how many near-death experiences I’ve had (being lost at sea and surviving was one of them), and some crazy days of my somewhat wild youth.

What was most enjoyable to you about living all over the world?

Being able to experience different cultures is always eye-opening. Getting a new perspective on America was a ground-shaking experience for me!

What are some of your favorite movies?

“2001: A Space Odyssey,” “Midnight Express,” “Midnight Run” and “Woodstock.”

Helium Channel Managers form the social ribbon that ties Helium’s large writing community together. They work to provide and encourage the highest-quality information for readers, by nurturing a community of writers and subject matter experts who share a passion for the focus of each channel on Helium.

When she isn’t tending to her garden, Susan Klatz Beal is managing the Home & Garden Channel. Susan joined the Channel Manager team to give back to a site that has given so much to her. She oversees a team of Home & Garden Channel Managers and is actively looking to grow her team. When she isn’t tending to her Channel Manager responsibilities, Susan is happily working in her garden and listening to music – but not while she’s writing.

Name: Susan Klatz Beal

Helium member since: June 2007

I love meeting writers from all over the world, learning from other writers, sharing with them, and the ability to challenge myself to learn things I might never have considered learning about before.

I have so many, but two of my favorites are: “The Joys of Gardening” because this article allowed me to share my love of plants and gardening in a very personal way, and “Is Classical Music Dead?” That was a debate title, and since I have a degree in music and a life of training in classical music, it was fun to write to a title I was defending through my very existence.

I love the thought that goes into the process, the act of creating, the extensive research I do for many articles, and the ability to make a statement through my articles. I love sharing things I am interested in and sharing things I’ve just discovered. I love writing because it pushes me to read and think about things differently.

I joined the Channel Manager team as a Sub-Channel Manager in December 2008. I became a Root Channel Manager in 2010.

My initial reason for becoming a Channel Manager was a desire to give back to a site that has given so much to me. I love being able to interact with and recruit other Channel Managers, meet writers, share with them and do what I can as a leader to improve the quality of the channel. No other writing site that I belong to has such interesting, unique and wide ranging titles to which writers can write.

Don’t ever assume you know something. You can never go wrong by asking for help or taking the time to look things up. By doing so, you ensure that you are providing factually correct information, and that will help you develop a following of readers who look to you as a credible writer in your field of expertise –  provided you have one.

I plan to continue doing what I’ve been doing, and hopefully sell more Content Source articles and get more involved with opportunities through Content Source.

People are surprised to learn that even though I have professional training in music, that when I am writing, I prefer to write in silence. I think people are also surprised to learn that I don’t drive and that I never have. I think that people are most surprised to learn that I have severe Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and that in spite of that, I set a goal for myself of writing 1,000 articles in a year’s time, and I stuck to it and accomplished that.

How has your interest in plants grown over the years?

I grew up in Chicago, and went through high school in a suburb of Chicago. I was introduced to plants through a horticulture class in high school. It wasn’t until I moved to Iowa for graduate school, that I was really able to explore my interest in plants and do so by having my own gardens. I’ve gone from growing houseplants to growing all sorts of vegetables, herbs, exotic tropical plants, native wildflowers and anything else. I’ve even managed to get ginger root from the grocery store to root, avocado pits to root and grow, and for the past year-plus, I’ve been growing a pineapple that I acquired from the top of a grocery store fruit.

What is growing in your garden right now?

I’m in Central Texas in the midst of one of the worst droughts in over 100 years. In addition to the drought, we had an extraordinarily harsh and cold winter, and as a result, I lost a bunch of tropical flowering plants I was growing. I have a smaller collection of plants than I have in past years because things are struggling. I have several kinds of hibiscuses, cannas, brugmansias, hoyas, succulents, gingers, avocados, and some Desert Roses. I try to grow things to attract hummingbirds, because I have a group of them that return every year.

When Kirsty O’Lone learned about the Channel Manager Program back in 2008, she knew she would enjoy it because she is helpful by nature. She has been the Channel Manager of the Wrestling Channel ever since, connecting with wrestling writers on Helium and providing leadership for the channel. She enjoys interacting with other writers and providing help and guidance to improve their articles and Helium experience.

Name: Kirsty O’Lone

Helium member since: January 2007

Obviously I enjoy writing, but I also enjoy visiting the community boards, the community on Helium is what makes it different from any other writing site I have ever been a member of.

My favourite article I’ve written is “Can the WWE be held accountable for the death of its wrestlers?” Obviously as a WWE fan the subject is close to my heart, when the Chris Benoit murder/suicide happened it seemed like all the press were blaming WWE for it. Writing this article allowed me to put a different view across and it felt good to be able to stick up for WWE and the wrestling industry in general at a time when they were under scrutiny from the mainstream press.

Anyone who knows me would tell you that I am very opinionated, writing gives me a way to voice that opinion.

I joined the team at the start of the program.

As soon as the program was announced I thought to myself that it sounded like something I would really enjoy, I have a helpful nature so I thought I would be well suited to being a Channel Manager. I enjoy pretty much everything about being a Channel Manager, but I especially love helping people improve their articles and get a higher rating. I’m very chatty so anything that involves talking to other members is great for me.

Don’t be scared to ask questions, the community is very helpful on Helium.

My regular job doesn’t leave me with much free time for writing but my main goal is to try and write more articles. I would also like to take on more responsibility, perhaps joining the Title Seeding Team or the Editorial Advisory Board.

I play the bagpipes in my local pipe band, I love politics and although I have lived by the sea nearly my entire life, most sea creatures scare me, particularly prawns I can’t explain why but I just find them creepy.

Do you wrestle, or are you a fan of wrestling?

I am an almost lifelong fan; I have never been tempted to try it myself though.

When did you first become interested in wrestling?

I think I was around four or five when I started watching wrestling; I was a big Hulk Hogan fan as a kid.

What is the best wrestling match you’ve seen?

It is hard to pick one match out of around 20 years of watching wrestling but nothing beats seeing a match live so I would have to go with John Cena Vs Shawn Michaels in a 2007 WrestleMania rematch live in London. I travelled for over 10 hours to see raw live and this was the main event that night. I was 10 rows from the front and this match was also voted match of the year that year. As a big fan of Shawn Michaels it was quite an experience to be there for that match, for sure he has had better matches during his career but the experience of seeing it live made the difference for me.

Linda S. Watts joined the Channel Manager team two years ago, managing the Animal Facts & Resources and Animal Rights & Issues channels. She has taken on more and more responsibility since then, and is currently the Local Guides Root Channel Manager and Ghosts & Paranormal Phenomena Channel Manager. Linda is a free spirit and appreciates the diversity found in cultures all over the globe. Learn more about Linda here.

Name:  Linda S. Watts

When did you join Helium?

I joined Helium in February of 2008. I was a stay-at-home mom who was looking to find a way to make a little extra money on the side. When I thought about working from home again, I remembered how much I missed freelance writing. I just happened to stumble upon Helium. Honestly, I didn’t get into really writing or being a part of the community until about a year later. I have been hooked ever since.

I love writing. Having a diverse background, I love how I can share my knowledge on just about any topic. I also love the community. I have met some wonderful colleagues and mentors along the way that I consider good friends today.

There are so many I would consider in my list of favorites. I love writing about conservation topics to educate more people about the problems the world faces today. I also love writing about the ocean and the life within.

However, the article that has had a lasting impact on me is “Deciding when to allow your children to stay home alone.” I have always been considered a tad overprotective of my children. While other people were going up to the store and leaving their children alone, I didn’t feel comfortable with that concept.

When I saw the title “Deciding when to allow your children to stay home alone,” I knew I had to chime in. I didn’t want to write it as an assumption or an opinion. So, I spent some time really researching laws in different states to see the topic from a legal aspect.  After all, my first college go around was as a legal assistant. I want the article to make parents aware of the legal issues of leaving their children home alone at such a young age.

I joined the Channel Manager team in June of 2009. I started off in Animal Facts & Resources and Animal Rights & Issues. In September of 2009, I also took on the Alabama channel. Very briefly I also managed Christian Beliefs & Culture in March of 2010. Shortly after, I was offered the Local Guides root channel position. I gave up the other channels to devote my time to building Local Guides. Just recently, in February 2011, I have also taken on the Ghosts & Paranormal Phenomena Channel.

I loved writing at Helium and wanted to become more a part of the community. I enjoy being able to help other writers who have questions or concerns. I also enjoy trying to build the channels I manage so they can reach their full potential and offer valuable information for anyone who seeks it.

Stick with it. Helium can be a bit overwhelming at first. There is so much to do. There is so much to take in. Some new members become frustrated when they aren’t making as much money as they thought they would. Let me just say, Rome wasn’t built in a day. The more you write, the more money you make.

I was the same way at first. I wrote a few articles in 2008 but it wasn’t until January of 2009 that I made the decision to persevere through it one article at a time. Before I knew it I had hundreds of articles and saw more money come in. I also delved into the community and strived to do my part to make Helium a better place for freelance writers. Now, almost four years later, freelance writing isn’t just a job for me. It is my career and Helium helped me reach that goal.

Aside from writing more? I would love to one day join the ranks of Senior Channel Manager. I have had the pleasure of working with some amazing senior managers. I would love to take what I have learned from them to reach out and help not only Helium as a whole, but other writers, and Channel Managers as well.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

I would love to one day be able to travel and enjoy all that the world has to offer. If home is where the heart is, then my home is appreciating the diversity found in cultures all over the globe.

When did you become interested in ghosts and paranormal phenomena?

I can’t remember a time when I haven’t had some sort of experience with ghosts and paranormal phenomena. It wasn’t until my early twenties that I really decided to delve into the paranormal research field. Although I believe in ghosts and other paranormal phenomena, I am not as quick to say a place is haunted or that a certain occurrence is paranormal. I try to prove it logically first. If I can’t then it is worth looking into on the side of paranormal.

Just recently, a group of my fellow paranormal researchers and I have founded the Grigori Research Institute of Parapsychology. Our mission is to cut through the hoaxes and discover what the actual truth is. Our goal is to find the truth through science or dismiss claims that have a logical explaination.

What do you find to be most interesting about ghosts and paranormal phenomena?

What I find the most interesting about ghosts and paranormal phenomena is the theories. They can be so diverse. Who is to say who is right? If their theory is the actual truth then it wouldn’t be a theory any more. The paranormal research field is based on a wide range of theories. Some are based on ancient legends. Perhaps some of these legends hold some truth. Perhaps it was just a way for primitive people to explain an occurrence that at the time they didn’t understand. I love sifting through it all and using science to find the truth.

Helium Channel Managers form the social ribbon that ties Helium’s large writing community together. They work to provide and encourage the highest-quality information for readers by nurturing a community of writers and subject matter experts who share a passion for the focus of each channel on Helium.

Alistair Marquise joined the Channel Manager Program in November 2010 as the Reflections Channel Manager. When Helium created a Flash Fiction Channel, Alistair switched channels and began managing the newly-created Flash Fiction Channel, which he says has been a dream. Alistair says he is drawn to writing, and that the need to tell stories, the need to report and the need to explore ideas through words are a part of who he is. Get to know Alistair a little better here.

Name: Alistair Marquise

Helium member since: June 2009

Helium is a community, and while I enjoy having a place to write and share my work, it’s the interaction with the other writers that I appreciate the most. Making connections with other people who share your passion for writing – there’s nothing better than that.

My favorite article of mine is a Flash fiction piece that I did entitled “The morgue.”  I like it because I was able to include most of my favorite elements, which are heavy description, dialogue, violence or references to violence, and creepy settings.

What do you enjoy about creative writing?

I believe that I’ve always enjoyed creative writing because it offers me the opportunity to be in complete control of something, namely, the world that I’m creating in the story. Through that control, I’m able to express exactly what I want to about the characters, but more importantly, about myself. Creative writing is, and always has been, a way for me to make connections with other people, because elements of who I am are woven into every piece I write.

Well, like any organization that you really want to be a part of, I took the first open position that was offered to me in the hopes that I could one day get the position that I really wanted, which is exactly what happened.  I started as the Channel Manager for “Reflections” and a few months later when Flash Fiction became a separate channel, I was offered that position, which has been a dream.

Being a Channel Manager gives me the opportunity to interact with other writers even more, and beyond that, to encourage them, because guidance and encouragement were exactly the things that I received from Channel Managers when I first started at Helium, and it feels good to be able to give that back.

I would suggest that new members jump right in by writing a lot, and taking part in the community.  By writing, a new member will be able to figure out what Helium can do for them, and what is expected of them as a Helium writer.  There are a lot of different ways to get involved with the community as well, such as taking part in the discussion boards and the various groups that exist, but the best way, in my opinion, is to start giving feedback to other writers, and to be gracious when receiving feedback yourself.

I’m interested, as I believe every writer should be, in being the best that I can be, and in seeking out the ways that can help me achieve that.  Helium has already educated me in so many ways, but there are still some resources that I have yet to tap.  My immediate, short-term goal, is to learn how to leave more to the imagination of the reader, instead of expecting them to utilize my imagination exclusively while reading one of my pieces.

1. I am a high school dropout with no college education.
  2. I have been a Type 1 diabetic for seventeen years.
  3. I’m six-and-a-half feet tall.

What do you do in your spare time?

I read a lot, of course. I’m a big fan of comic books, and enjoy them in all of their forms. I also enjoy getting exercise and being out in the Florida sun. Most of all, having a good conversation is pretty much my favorite activity.

Who are some of your favorite authors?

H.P. Lovecraft, Kurt Vonnegut, Alan Moore, John Steinbeck, and F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Do you have a favorite genre to write in?

I like anything with a touch of the fantastic. Science fiction, fantasy, superheroes – anything that doesn’t require reality in order to make it good. Of course, flash fiction ranks pretty highly up there as well.

Revel Arroway, a retired English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher, became the Channel Manager of Language Learning Tips in August. Revel began teaching ESL in New York City in 1982, later moving to Spain in 1989. Since retiring from teaching earlier this year, Revel has been focused on importing and exporting harvest combines and writing for Helium. Revel advises new members, “Writing can be an art, but even the most brilliant artist is first a craftsperson. Craft your work carefully and, when in doubt, ask someone you respect for advice.” Learn more about Revel here.

Name: Revel Arroway

How long have you been at Helium?: I joined Sept. 1, 2009.

What is your favorite thing about Helium?: I enjoy the possibility to not only contribute to the knowledge bank but also to participate in a friendly and helpful community with a serious desire to improve the craftsmanship of all its members.

What is your favorite article you’ve written on Helium?: In creative writing I had fun relating an old family history about a haunted house we lived in when I was a boy. On the other hand, I think my favorite article is on how to bring a world view into the classroom (though I also like my article on pronunciation in the ESL classroom).

Why do you enjoy writing?: It’s something I’ve always done pretty well, I enjoy sharing ideas with others and the personal satisfaction involved in crafting with words.

Why did you decide to become a Channel Manager? What do you enjoy about it?: Though Helium offers a great deal of freedom to writers, I became a manager in order to contribute to a perceived need for some control. There are many “rough diamonds” contributing and not all use the forums to get advice. By participating as a channel manager I think I can outreach better to those with interests similar to mine and be part of the team that needs to go through thousands of articles, maintaining quality on the platform.

If you could give one bit of advice to new members, what would it be?: Writing can be an art, but even the most brilliant artist is first a craftsperson. Craft your work carefully and, when in doubt, ask someone you respect for advice.

What are your future goals on Helium?: I hope to continue my growing part in the community, giving support to other writers and counting on their support when I am in need.

What are three things people are surprised to find out about you?: That my day-job is importing and selling harvest combines; my capacity to laugh at almost everything, be it funny or not; that a farm-boy from Midwestern USA lives in Northern Spain.

What do you do in your spare time?: I make videos based on folklore and legends from the region of Spain that I enjoy hiking through, I care for my beautiful vegetable garden and I spend time with my wonderful, wonderful cat, Gepetto.

Who are your favorite writers?: S. King, S. Sondhiem, F. Kafka, C. Dickens, J. Saramago, M. Delibes, H.P. Lovecraft, E.A. Poe, etc.

What are your favorite books?: The Shining, The Process, A Tale of Two Cities, Ensayo sobre la cegera (Essay on Blindness), El Hereje (The Heretic), etc.

What is your favorite website other than Helium?: I’m one of those who uses the Internet almost exclusively for work; that is, I read my emails, I look for combines, I write to content sites. I don’t spend a lot of time on the Internet unless I am communicating or working.

Katherine Johnson joined Helium four years ago. After receiving encouragement from a Helium Steward (now known as Channel Manager), Katherine continued to work on and improve her writing, and as a result has made freelance writing her career. Looking to return the favor of encouraging new writers, Katherine joined the Channel Manager team, leading the Christian Beliefs and Culture Channel. Katherine is a Christian Pastor and a mother of seven children.

Learn more about Katherine and her experiences on Helium…

Name: Katherine Johnson

How long have you been at Helium?: 4 years

What is your favorite thing about Helium?: Everything about Helium has been good for me, however the most impressive is having someone to help you improve your writing. I love getting feedback and learning what I can do to make it better.

What is your favorite article you’ve written on Helium?:Travel destinations: Shanghai, China

Why do you enjoy writing?: It not only relaxes me, but I am actually good at it. I think writing helps a person focus and forgive, because it lets you get rid of all your frustrations. However the other reason is that I simply love seeing my name in print.

Why did you decide to become a Channel Manager? What do you enjoy about it?: I became a Channel Manager, because I remember a time when I needed help, and was just starting out, and one of the stewards came and told me I was doing great and that I showed promise. Because of her I was able to go on to make freelancing my career, it was pretty fantastic. I decided that if ever offered the chance I would do for others what she did for me.

If you could give one bit of advice to new members, what would it be?: Write for the love of it, leapfrog to make it better.

What are your future goals on Helium?: I want to reach the 500 to 1,000 article mark and to be a five star writer.

What are three things people are surprised to find out about you?: I am a Christian Pastor, I have seven children, and I am a really feisty lady. I never give up because I could not imagine letting my children see me fail and thinking that being a failure is alright.

What do you do in your spare time?: I play video games with my children.

Who are your favorite writers?: My favorite writers are many, particularly those who write Christian educational books that help new Christians find Jesus.

What are your favorite books?: The Left Behind Series are my favorite books, but I love reading everything historical or biblical.

What is your favorite website other than Helium?: All of my websites are my favorites, however I love Gather, it is a lot of fun there and Sidetick.

Anything else you’d like to share?: Never be afraid to ask your manager here at Helium any question, they are here for that reason. We believe in the success of Helium and will answer any questions that allow the writer and the reader to feel more comfortable here, which in turn will allow Helium to grow and become an even better site for people who love learning things.

Keith joined Helium in March 2008 and decided to become a Channel Manager to help other writers and the Helium community. Keith has been the Meaning of Life Channel Manager for about one year and took on more responsibility last month when he became the European History Channel Manager. After teaching geography for 25 years, Keith changed careers and became an administrator for a London-based charity. In addition to writing articles on Helium, Keith has written two non-fiction works, magazine articles and two novels, one of which was just published in July.

Learn more about Keith and his experiences on Helium…

Name: Keith Redfern

How long have you been at Helium?: Since March 2008

What is your favorite thing about Helium?: Writing, reading, learning

What is your favorite article you’ve written on Helium?:Global Warming: What’s the Real Truth?

Why do you enjoy writing?: It enables me to express how I feel on a subject and encourages me to be clear and concise in my thoughts.

Why did you decide to become a Channel Manager? What do you enjoy about it?: To help other writers and the Helium community. The contact it brings with others in the community and the constant learning from the articles of others.

If you could give one bit of advice to new members, what would it be?: Check Helium’s writing guidelines before submitting an article.

What are your future goals on Helium?: I have no specific ones.

What are three things people are surprised to find out about you?: I was a Quaker.  My age.  That I write.

What do you do in your spare time?: Play music, go for walks, travel

Who are your favorite writers?: Dickens, Steinbeck, Wilkie Collins, Lee Child, Grisham

What are your favorite books?: The Moonstone, The Long Valley

What is your favorite website other than Helium?: BBC News

Maria joined the team as the Greece Destination Guides Channel Manager in March. A five star writer, she has sold two articles in Helium’s Marketplace. She holds two bachelor degrees in translation as well as a bachelor degree in subtitling. She has been working successfully as a professional freelance translator and proofreader with several prestigious translation agencies since 2005.

Learn more about Maria and her experiences on Helium…

Name: Maria Papadopoulou

How long have you been at Helium?: 1 year

What is your favorite thing about Helium?: The many opportunities that are provided to international writers.

What is your favorite article you’ve written on Helium?: Worst types of bosses: Control freaks, too friendly, weirdos and more.”

Why do you enjoy writing?: Because it gives me the chance to express myself and inform others about a variety of topics.

Why did you decide to become a Channel Manager? What do you enjoy about it?: I wanted to offer knowledge to Greek destination guides as well as meet and help people who are interested in writing in those guides.

If you could give one bit of advice to new members, what would it be?: Be patient and persistent.

What are your future goals on Helium?: To stay on the site for many years to come and write many more articles.

What are three things people are surprised to find out about you?: If I could, I would be on a plane every day, traveling all over the world, meeting new people and cultures constantly.

What do you do in your spare time?: Read, watch plays and movies and listen to country music.

Who are your favorite writers?: Mary Austin, Alice Adams

What are your favorite books?: Chicken Soup for the Soul, The Road Less Travelled

What is your favorite website other than Helium?: wikinut.com

Anything else you’d like to share?: My favorite motto is: What matters is the journey not the destination.

Next Page »